Benefits Of Groundnut
Groundnuts, also known as peanuts, are considered a very healthy snack. Groundnut is the member of the legume family and is native to regions like South America, Mexico and Central America. However, it is successfully grown in other parts of the world as well. The name of the plant combines the morpheme ‘pea’ and ‘nut’. In the culinary sense, it is regarded as a nut, but in the botanical sense, the fruit of the plant is a woody legume. Since that is the case, the groundnut is actually a kind of pea. The groundnut is also known by different names like earthnuts, goobers, goober peas, pindas, jack nuts, pinders, manila nuts and monkey nuts. Throughout the world, they are known for their nutrition and health benefits. Read for information on the nutritional value and benefits of groundnuts.
Nutritional Value of Groundnut
Given here is the value of different nutrients in 100 grams groundnut.
• Calcium - 93 mg
• Carbohydrate - 16.13 gm
• Copper - 11.44 mg
• Fat - 49.24 g
• Fiber - 8.5 gm
• Iron - 4.58 mg
• Magnesium - 168 mg
• Manganese - 1.934 mg
• Phosphorus - 376 mg
• Potassium - 705 mg
• Protein - 25.80 gm
• Sodium - 18 mg
• Water - 6.50 gm
• Zinc - 3.27 mg
Nutrition Benefits of Eating Groundnuts
• Groundnuts and groundnut products are very beneficial in the treatment of hemophilia and other such inherited blood disorders. People suffering from nose bleeding also benefit from eating groundnuts and it is also helpful in reducing excessive menstruation bleeding in women.
• Five main nutrients required by the body to maintain and repair the tissues namely food energy, protein, phosphorous, thiamin and niacin. These five nutrients are found in good quantity in groundnuts.
• Groundnuts are rich vitamins and contain at least 13 different types of vitamins that include Vitamin A, B, C and E. along with this, groundnuts are also rich in 26 essential minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, boron, etc. these help in brain function and development and also help to maintain strong bones.
• It is recommended that growing children, expecting women and nursing mothers consume roasted groundnuts with jaggery and goat’s milk. It is said to provide resistance and immunity against dangerous infections like Hepatitis and also Tuberculosis.
• Groundnuts are rich in anti-oxidants and a chemical called resveratrol. These help in reducing the risk of contracting cardiovascular diseases, cancer risk and also help in anti-ageing, thus keeping the body young and fit.