Benefits Of Orange
Orange is a citrus fruit, considered to be a hybrid, of ancient cultivated origin, between pomelo (Citrus maxima) and tangerine (Citrus reticulata). Native to the countries of Southeast Asia, it is today cultivated in almost all the warm climate countries of the world. Its consumption is as popular in the raw, peeled form, as in the juice form. Even the rind of orange is used by people in recipes, either for flavoring or for garnishing purposes. Being a rich source of nutrients, orange has been associated with a number of health and nutrition benefits. With the information given below, explore more about the fruit.
Nutritional Value of Orange
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100 gm oranges:
• Vitamin A - 190 IU
• Vitamin B - Thiamine .08 mg
• Vitamin C - 49 mg
• Calcium - 33 mg
• Phosphorus - 23 mg
• Potassium - 300 mg
• Calories - 60
Apart from this, oranges also contain:
• Folic Acid
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Orange/Orange Juice
• Being rich in calcium, oranges have been associated with protection and maintenance of the health of bones.
• Beta-carotene, a nutrient present in oranges, is a very powerful antioxidant that protects our cells from damage.
• Consumption of oranges has been found to result in lesser outpouring of mucus secretions from the nose.
• It is said that oranges are beneficial in maintaining the dental health of an individual.
• Oranges have been associated with keeping blood pressure under check, mainly owing to the presence of magnesium.
• Oranges, being rich in Vitamins B6, help support the production of hemoglobin in the body.
• Regular consumption of orange juice can significantly increase HDL levels and improve the LDL-HDL ratio of a person.
• The folic acid present in oranges helps in proper brain development.
• The high content of potassium in oranges helps maintain electrolyte balance in the cells and also aids the maintenance of a healthy cardiovascular system.
Consumption of oranges can help an individual in dealing with the following ailments:
• Alcohol Addiction
• Bowel Disorders
• Cough and Cold
• Heart Diseases
• Pimples and Acne
• Respiratory Problems