Potassium Rich Foods
Potassium is a mineral that is found in almost every food item we eat, differing only in the amount. So, a well balanced diet, with fruits, vegetables, milk, etc in it, is all you need to maintain the proper level of potassium in the body. Though lack of potassium has not been directly linked to a disease, the mineral has been found to be of great importance in helping body perform its vital functions. However, even too much of potassium is not good for health. An average adult is required to consume 2,100 to 3,200 mg of potassium in a day. Check out the amount of potassium in various food items, mentioned below, to know whether you are getting enough potassium in your daily diet or not.
List of Foods High in Potassium
Food Item -Amount -Potassium Content
Apple 1 medium 143 mg
Apricot 1 medium 107 mg
Banana 1 medium 555 mg
Grapes - Green Seedless 1 cup 220 mg
Kiwi Fruit, Raw 1 medium 252 mg
Orange 1 medium 237 mg
Papaya 8 oz 936 mg
Peach 1 large 234 mg
Pear 1 medium 208 mg
Pineapple 1 medium 204 mg
Raisins 4 oz 305 mg
Strawberries 1 cup 244 mg
Brussel Sprouts, Cooked 1 cup 504 mg
Cabbage, cooked 1 cup 277 mg
Onion 1 medium 157 mg
Peas - Fresh, Cooked 8 oz 98 mg
Potato, Baked 1 medium 103 mg
Pumpkin, canned 4 oz 180 mg
Spinach, steamed 8 oz 167 mg
Sweet Potato 1 small 300 mg
Tomato 1 medium 366 mg
Ice Cream 8 oz 105 mg
Milk, Skim 8 oz 178 mg
Yogurt, Low Fat 8 oz 178 mg
Peanuts, Roasted 4 oz 404 mg
Peanut Butter, Natural 1 tbsp 94 mg
Rice, Brown 1 cup 105 mg
Importance of Potassium Diet
• Potassium helps in decreasing the amount of calcium excreted in urine. This, in turn, helps in minimizing the risk of kidney stones.
• For the same reason as above, potassium helps maintain the level of calcium in the body and thus, protect the bones from osteoporosis.
• Potassium helps improve the action of insulin in the body.
• Potassium has been found to be beneficial for those suffering from blood pressure and stroke risk.
• Potassium helps in maintaining the normal functioning of the heart and nervous system.