Benefits Of Dates
Date is the name of the fruit of the Date Palm, which is believed to have originated somewhere in the desert oases of northern Africa and, perhaps, southwest Asia. The people of the Middle East have consumed dates, as a part of their staple diet, since centuries, mainly owing to its high nutritional value. Apart from being rich in natural fibers, dates also comprise of a lot of other nutrients, like oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, magnesium, etc. In fact, it is said that one date is a minimum of a balanced and healthy diet. In the following lines, we have listed the various health and nutrition benefits of eating dates.
Nutritional Value of Dates
Given below is the amount of nutrients in 100 gm of dates:
• Sodium - 2 mg
• Total Carbohydrates - 75 gm
• Dietary Fiber - 8 gm
• Sugars - 63 gm
• Protein - 2 gm
• Vitamin - A 10 IU
• Vitamin C - 0.4 mg
• Vitamin E - 0.05 mg
• Vitamin K - 2.7 mcg
• Thiamin - 0.052 mg
• Riboflavin - 0.066 mg
• Niacin - 1.274 mg
• Vitamin B6 - 0.165 mg
• Vitamin B12 - 0 mcg
• Folate - 19 mcg
• Pantothenic Acid - 0.589 mcg
• Calcium - 39 mg
• Iron - 1.02 mg
• Magnesium - 43 mg
• Phosphorus - 62 mg
• Potassium - 656 mg
• Sodium - 2 mg
• Zinc - 0.29 mg
• Copper - 0.206 mg
• Manganese - 0.262 mg
• Selenium - 3 mcg
• Total Fat - 0.39 mg
• Saturated Fat - 0.032 mg
• Monounsaturated Fat - 0.036 mg
• Polyunsaturated Fat - 0.019 mg
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Dates
• Since dates get digested very easily, they are used for supplying quick energy and repairing waste.
• Milk, when boiled with dates, become a very nutritious and invigorating drink for children and adults, especially during convalescence.
• The nicotinic content in dates makes them an excellent cure for intestinal disturbances.
• Regular consumption of dates has been found to check the growth of pathological organisms and help in the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
• Being a laxative food, dates have been found to be beneficial for those suffering from constipation.
• For alcoholic intoxication, drinking water, in which fresh dates have been rubbed or soaked, is said to be quite effective.
• Studies have shown that consumption of dates, soaked overnight and crushed, is good for those who have a weak heart.
• It has been seen that dates serve as a tonic for improving sex stamina as well as sterility due to functional disorders.
• Researches have revealed that dates are effective in preventing abdominal cancer.
• Dates have a tonic effect and thus, hold value as medicines.