The Ten Most Popular Websites
(1) Google (google.com): Google began as a research project in 1996 and today it is the most visited website in the world. It gets over five billion clicks a day.
(2) Facebook (facebook.com): The most popular social website on the Internet was launched in February, 2004. Today, over 175 million people visit Facebook everybody.
(3) YouTube (youtube.com): YouTube was launched in 2005 by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim. It is now a Google subsidiary.
(4) Yahoo (yahoo.com): Yahoo was founded in 1994 and today it is the second most popular website in the world. The website gets over a one billion clicks a day.
(5) Live.com: It is third most popular English language search engine and it is a subsidiary of Microsoft. It is now more famous and is now known as Bing.
(6) Wikipedia (wikipedia.org): Wikipedia was founded in 2001 by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger as a complimentary project for another encyclopaedia named ‘Nupedia’. It was only an English language encyclopaedia then. Today, it is available in 270 languages, although only two languages – English and German – have over a million articles. Wikipedia has over 15 million articles in all languages combined.
(7) Baidu: This is the largest non-English language website in the world. It is often referred to as ‘China’s Google’. Baidu was founded by Eric Xu and Robin Li in 2000 and it is the seventh most visited website in the world.
(8) MSN (msn.com): MSN was founded in 1995 in the United States. It is still the second largest dial-up internet service provider in the country.
(9) Blogger (blogger.com): Blogger is a Google subsidiary which was launched in 1999 and it is the ninth most visited website on the planet.
(10) QQ (qq.com): It is the most popular social networking website in China and the tenth most visited website in the world.