Top Five E-mail Service Providers
(1) G-mail: Launched on 1 April 2004, the service provider went public on 7 February 2007 and has since become the most used free email service provider in the world. Innovations like cloud computing and integration with other Google applications gives Google an edge over its competitors.
(2) Yahoo! Mail: Released on 8 October 1997, it is the currently the second largest free email service provider in the world. Yahoo mail has some of the very useful features when it comes to tracking down messages. To provide its users an edge, Yahoo integrated Yahoo! Messenger with Yahoo! Mail on 27 June, 2009.
(3) Windows Live Hotmail: Founded by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith in 1996, Hotmail was bought by Microsoft in the following year. Today, it is available in 36 different languages and offers more than 5 GB of storage. Microsoft launched a new version of Hotmail on 18 May, 2010 which offers features including 10 GB attachments and Inbox sweeping.
(4) AOL Mail: Often referred to as AIM Mail, this free email service offers unlimited storage, RSS reader, online support and text messaging. AOL was released on 21 March, 2004 and initially it was a paid service.
(5) Mail.ru: It is a Russian language free email service provider and has millions of users in countries including Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Azerbaijan. The company was founded in 2001 and it is collaborating with Yandex, the most widely used search engine in Russia, to improve its services.